Sunday, September 4, 2011

Torsion vs. Flexion

For some unknown reason, I am WIDE awake at 4:24 on a Sunday morning.

Actually, I've been awake for more than an hour. Everett woke up for his middle-of-the-night feeding some time before 2:50 -- the exact time remains a mystery, because strangely the baby monitor on my nightstand was turned off...which means, when I rolled over to reposition myself at 2:50, I just happened to hear Everett down the hall sounding the alarm. Stupid baby monitor. (Or maybe I accidentally turned it off in my sleep. Stupid me.)

Anyway, I fed Everett. He got a clean diaper. Then Jason put him back to bed. And I've been awake ever since.

I was debating for a while whether or not to get up, but I thought for sure I would eventually drift back to sleep. So there I am, tossing and turning, trying to find a different, more comfortable position, and I realize that the way Jason and I happen to be cuddling is actually quite uncomfortable. And that's when I say something along the lines of "ow, my back's in some sort of weird torsion." Which leads to the question, "wait, what's the difference between torsion and flexion?"

(Seriously?! This is what comes to me at 4:00 in the morning?!)

And that's when I realized it was impossible to quiet my mind. My never-shrinking to-do list is thundering through my brain. And now I'm up, sitting in front of my computer, ironically not even halfway paying attention to anything on my ginormous to-do list.... *sigh*

I guess I should start with something simple this morning. First, coffee. Then, the dishes. Gotta start somewhere.



Oh, and for those of you who are still wondering by this point, here are the Merriam-Webster definitions of what was keeping me awake at 4:24 on a Sunday morning...

torsion:
1: the twisting or wrenching of a body by the exertion of forces tending to turn one end or part about a longitudinal axis while the other is held fast or turned in the opposite direction; also : the state of being twisted
2: the twisting of a bodily organ or part on its own axis
3: the reactive torque that an elastic solid exerts by reason of being under torsion
flexion:
1: the act of flexing or bending
2: a part bent : bend
3: inflection
4a : a bending movement around a joint in a limb (as the knee or elbow) that decreases the angle between the bones of the limb at the joint — compare extension; b : a forward raising of the arm or leg by a movement at the shoulder or hip joint

1 comment:

  1. Of course I hear the slight twist to the right with a gradual bend at the waist helps such conditions. I am guessing that loading the dishes into the dishwasher did just the trick!

    I hope you were feeling better by game time. The Aggies did a number on SMU!

    See you in a couple of days!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete